Season the herring fillets on both sides with salt and pepper. Spread the oatmeal over a plate and coat the herring fillets init, pressing it well on to both sides.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the streaky bacon strips and fry until crisp and golden. Remover from the pan with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
Add the herring fillets to the pan, flesh-side down, and fry for 1 minute. Turn over and fry for another 1-2 minutes, until the skin is golden brown. Put the fillets on 4 warmed plates and sprinkle over the bacon. Serve with the lemon wedges, and some boiled floury patatoes that have been tossed with a little chopped parsley.
• 4x 225g (8oz) herrings, cleaned & filleted
• 100g (4oz) meduim oatmeal (called pinhead oatmeal)
• 2 tbsps sunflower oil
• 4 rashers of rindless streaky bacon, cut into larbons (short strips)
• salt & freshly ground balck pepper
• 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve