Heat the butter and fry the shallots and bacon. Add the stock, broccoli and turnip or swede. Cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften.
Add the fish and cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir in the créme fraîche and simmer for a further 2-3 minutes.
Spread the sliced bread with the mustard and top with the cheese. Cook under a hot preheated grill for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
Serve the chowder with a few slices of the bread.
• 455g (1lb) smoked haddock, skinned and cubed
• 30g (1oz) slightly salted butter
• 3 shallots, chopped
• 4 rashers bacon, chopped
• 455g (1lb) broccoli
• 455g (1lb) small white turnip or swede, peeled and cubed
• 150ml (5 fl oz) low fat crème fraîche
• 1 small baguette, sliced
• 2 x 5ml spoon (2 teaspoon) Dijon mustard
• 115g (4oz) Gruyere cheese, grated